Upset with friend....

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
unreasonable
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Upset with friend....

#1 Post by unreasonable »

regular going anon girls. My boss gave me two VIP tickets for a gig recently (€350 worth) with all the trimmings. It's a gig I would have no interest in. I gave them to my friend and her daughter. Her daughter is 14, Under 16's need to be accompanied. The day of the gig, I have her the two tickets. She said "oh the girls are delighted". Turns out, she was sending her daughter and her pal, who is only 15. I said, sorry, I assumed you were going with her. She said, no way. I wouldn't be interested. I explained that girls may not get in and I would get stick as it was a work thingy. We were communicating through text, etc....she was becoming quite difficult saying I was making a fuss, etc...how excited her daughter was, etc., etc..... In the end, I just gave her the tickets as I couldn't be arsed arguing.

That was last week and I have not received a thank you........nothing.

The girls got in okay but our company had a box and it was noted that my firm did not use tickets. He is a bit peeved with me, understandably.

Am I being unreasonable here??? Her and I are good friends....

Unnamed poster5

Re: Upset with friend....

#2 Post by Unnamed poster5 »

Why did you take the tickets if you were not going to go? And also if they tickets were used how was it noted that they were not used by the firm?

Recently I gave away tickets to a concert - I paid 132 euro for them and not so much as a 'the concert was great thanks for tickets' message came through to me so I can understand your annoyance on that front so expecting a thank you is not unreasonable if that is the question.

Thinkivebeenhacked

#3 Post by Thinkivebeenhacked »

You shouldn't have given them away. They were gifted to your firm.

unreasonable

#4 Post by unreasonable »

Hi Pseudo. Was very last minute. My boss gave them to me as he had forgotten he had them and he had no one left to give them to. I thought of my friend and her dd. The firm's name is on them.....and the seats had the firm name on them. Corporate seats iykwim

April

#5 Post by April »

I wouldn’t have thought you should have given the tickets to anyone. If you didn’t want to go, you shouldn’t have accepted the tickets, especially since the tickets were part of a group hospitality package.

I can see why your boss is miffed with you.
These users thanked the author April for the post:
Jenna

RedHen

#6 Post by RedHen »

I think you should be annoyed at both yourself and the friend. You really shouldn't have taken them if you weren't going to use them and your friend shouldn't have passed them on to two teenagers who must have looked out of place in a corporate box.
These users thanked the author RedHen for the post (total 2):
IamsoneedyVino

mmum

#7 Post by mmum »

Your boss been annoyed is another issue altogether.

I can see why your friend hasn't text you to say thanks, she's clearly annoyed you made a song & dance about her not using the tickets, however it's still very rude & regardless she should have even gotten her daughter to text you to say thanks.

Unnamed poster 7

#8 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted
These users thanked the author Unnamed poster 7 for the post:
Howiya Ma

Unnamed poster5

#9 Post by Unnamed poster5 »

unreasonable wrote:Hi Pseudo. Was very last minute. My boss gave them to me as he had forgotten he had them and he had no one left to give them to. I thought of my friend and her dd. The firm's name is on them.....and the seats had the firm name on them. Corporate seats iykwim

Well to be fair, and no you should not have passed them on but your boss passed them on to you and you passed them on again so would they have preferred nobody used 350 euro worth of tickets? All a pain in the face. Everyone is wrong to be honest from your boss down to your friend and you but you cannot take it back, its done and dusted now. Just learn from it and move on - including the friend who has not said thanks!

Minion

#10 Post by Minion »

I agree with 3dollys here, when you passed the tickets on, you relinquished control over how they were used. At the end of the day your actions (unintentionally as they may be) resulted in two unaccompanied minors accessing that event. If anything happened to them, it would have come back on your company.

Also, with these things,there are often rules that box tickets have to be used or the companies could lose access to the VIP box, and I assume there are tax implications for the company as well possibly in relation to benefit in kind?

Vino

#11 Post by Vino »

Last edited by Vino on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unreasonable

#12 Post by unreasonable »

Ach, I know. I'm pissed off with my own stupidity. My boss gave them to me and said use them "with discretion" (i.e., make sure and adult is with an under 16). My friend gave me the impression she was going with her daughter. That would have been fine as it was too late for my boss to give them to someone else anyway.

Thanks girls, I think it is worse when you are annoyed with yourself lol

Howiya Ma

#13 Post by Howiya Ma »

3dollys wrote:See heres the thing.
You shouldnt have gifted them, they were a company thing.
And secondly, when you do give something as a gift, you dont get to say how its used.
Im afraid you are the only one wrong in this triangle.
This. Plus the big deal you made about the teens going is probably why there's no thank you text

January

#14 Post by January »

If the girls went and they weren't in the box where were they? Do they let you in any part if you have a box?
Offering wedding, funeral, baby naming, and other threshold ceremonies.

www.adrieannemcdermott.ie

DazedandConfused

#15 Post by DazedandConfused »

When you offered her the tickets originally did you say it was for a box and at least one adult should go?
I assume it was for Taylor Swift or similar and you might have guessed your friend wouldn't want to go herself.

Return to “Advice/Anon”