Upset with friend....

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
unreasonable
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Upset with friend....

#16 Post by unreasonable »

January, they were in the box. One of them said they were 16 (she's 15) and their mam worked for ****** company name. They said I was their Mam and gave my name, which was on the ticket and on the seat. The security guy let them through.

I made a fuss because I assumed my friend and her DD were going. Not two underage girls. I explained to my friend that she was putting me in an awkward position re: work and she said I was putting her in an awkward position with her daughter and her friend. Personally, I feel she didn't give me any consideration whatsoever but I take full responsibility. I should not have given them away.

janeymac

#17 Post by janeymac »

If anyone but especially a friend was kind enough to gift me free VIP tickets to a gig , I would be happy to comply with any reasonable conditions that came with them. It wasn't a big ask from you.
I would be unhappy with a friend who did this. As to no thank you regardless of the tooing and froing. Very ungrateful. I can't see how others are saying you are the only one in the wrong!
These users thanked the author janeymac for the post (total 15):
AphexScorpioVinowuzziwigGerberaNewbody and 9 more users

Acrobat

#18 Post by Acrobat »

No matter about the shoukd and shouldn't of the actual tickets your friend is extremely rude to not say thank you. You gave her tickets worth a lot of money and she took them. No excuse for lack of manners on her or her children's part.

Aphex

#19 Post by Aphex »

x
Last edited by Aphex on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marigold

#20 Post by Marigold »

To be fair you really should have informed your boss you had no interest and could you pass them on, really surprised you didn't being honest. When you asked her was she interested in the tickets you should have told her she would have to attend with the daughter as it was a corporate box and no under 16s unaccompanied.

Yes, I'd be annoyed you got no text/call after to say thanks, that's rude imo.
These users thanked the author Marigold for the post:
Lean

Busybee

#21 Post by Busybee »

This really peeves my DH off. He does a lot of entertaining and gives tickets to people. IF they can't go, ie the company, he would much prefer to have them returned so he can give to another client. The few occasions they were passed on, he has deleted them off his list of clients for future tickets.
In saying all of that, your friend should have at least gotten her daughter to contact you to say thanks.

PHILLIPA

#22 Post by PHILLIPA »

unreasonable wrote:January, they were in the box. One of them said they were 16 (she's 15) and their mam worked for ****** company name. They said I was their Mam and gave my name, which was on the ticket and on the seat. The security guy let them through.

I made a fuss because I assumed my friend and her DD were going. Not two underage girls. I explained to my friend that she was putting me in an awkward position re: work and she said I was putting her in an awkward position with her daughter and her friend. Personally, I feel she didn't give me any consideration whatsoever but I take full responsibility. I should not have given them away.

I’m wondering how your firm knew the tickets weren’t used if they were in the box ?

Bubbles

#23 Post by Bubbles »

I think it’s very rude of your friend not to thank you for the tickets. Is common decency to thank someone for a gift whether she is pissed off or not.
These users thanked the author Bubbles for the post:
Aphex

DazedandConfused

#24 Post by DazedandConfused »

Very poor form.

Unnamed poster 6

#25 Post by Unnamed poster 6 »

Leaving aside the whole boss thing, I can see why you are upset. If a friend offered me tickets and explained the scenario, I would go with my child. Or I would get an adult to go with her. Out of respect for my friend (I wouldn't want any hassle for her). I think it was ungenerous not to thank you.
These users thanked the author Unnamed poster 6 for the post (total 2):
GrouchoVino

Maisy

#26 Post by Maisy »

Your friend sounds very ungrateful! You explained to her that an adult needed to go with her daughter and she ignored you and gave them to two underage girls. For her to get the hump with you shows her selfishness!
Probably afraid to tell her daughter that the friend couldn't go, much easier for you to get in trouble with work than upset her daughter!

Millie

#27 Post by Millie »

Out of order your friend sending two underage girls to the concert! So irresponsible. I would definitely send a follow up text to say it was noticed that an adult wasn’t in the box and you won’t be getting any more tickets as a result. Complete lack of respect. Your boss gave them to you so you were entitled to give them away. I think if it were me, I would feel i’d lost a ‘friend’ out of this. If it was Taylor Swift, it was very crowded on the way in and out and loads of drunk people on the way out. Something wrong with a mother that would send a 15 year old into that.

Grasscutter

#28 Post by Grasscutter »

I hate this kind of crap from people. I occasionally but not easily get perks like this through work. I have occasionally allowed friends to benefit although it would be the norm to check is this ok. But the friends/family often seem to think that as it’s through work there is no need to show appreciation. I never take these perks for granted myself - for example I was invited to an event I’d say no one wanted to go to judging on attendances and I was needed as a bum on seat - I still thanked when I got the invite and sent a sincere thank you after the event. Every year at Christmas I would buy a gift for one particular person even if I haven’t got a perk all year - but on the occasions when
I’ve arranged a freebie for others they seem to think it should just be taken for granted. I always think they’re the type of people who rob hotel towels.
You’re right to be annoyed at the lack of appreciation- I think the mistake you made was not being clear When you gave the tickets but I can understand why you assumed the Mum would go cos I think any parent who sends her 14 year old DD to a corporate box for a social event with no accompanying adult where there will be strangers drinking is off their rocker. Consider it a lesson learned and be grateful nothing worse happened.

Kemmy

#29 Post by Kemmy »

No you are not being unreasonable.

Elsie

#30 Post by Elsie »

its happened, its over.... you know for next time only to pass on with rules attached.... if there is a next time!!

I would probably be peeved too but its really not worth falling out over.

I would just text your friend and say you hope the girls had a good time. - and leave it at that... lesson learned

Return to “Advice/Anon”