In love with my cousin

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Elsie

Re: In love with my cousin

#46 Post by Elsie »

Hey Froggie,
was thinking about this thread earlier and decided to pop on and be completely nosey and ask how you got on .... if of course you have been on holiday yet.......

SpottyLotty

#47 Post by SpottyLotty »

Hi Froggie

I have 2 first cousins married to each other. It's not illegal and it's ok to have kids, the issue of genetics and the possibility of mental disabilities really only arises when 2nd cousins have kids.

Similar situation to yours where they lived on different continents and met at a family funeral. They were both previously married & had kids so they had no desire to have any more, even though she was still of child bearing age.

As for the family, well my generation of the family were of the opinion it's their life, if they want to get married then it's none of our business and we wish them well. There were one or two of the oldies who were "that's disgusting" attitude but nobody entertained their attitude and they eventually shut up.

You only get one chance in this life and if this is your chance at happiness then I'd say go for it.

Nodrog

#48 Post by Nodrog »

Wondering how things are for you a year on?

HeyJude

#49 Post by HeyJude »

Are there not a lot of travellers married to first cousins or is that just folklore? If it's fact then it's not unusual in Ireland for cousins to marry. Genetics are only a problem if there is a genetic issue in the family which of course might not be known about but if there isn't then there shouldn't be an issue. Given that its only in recent years that there's been a lot of inward migration into Ireland I suspect a lot of people are married to relations even if it goes back a few generations, especially when people have married within their own area.
Having said all that it wouldn't be for me but it's your life not mine.

RDR

#50 Post by RDR »

HeyJude wrote:Are there not a lot of travellers married to first cousins or is that just folklore? If it's fact then it's not unusual in Ireland for cousins to marry. Genetics are only a problem if there is a genetic issue in the family which of course might not be known about but if there isn't then there shouldn't be an issue. Given that its only in recent years that there's been a lot of inward migration into Ireland I suspect a lot of people are married to relations even if it goes back a few generations, especially when people have married within their own area.
Having said all that it wouldn't be for me but it's your life not mine.
The other side of that is that that kind of pattern may be a factor in why we have incredibly high rates of CF for example. There may be other conditions but CF is one where Ireland has a noticeably higher rate than other countries.
These users thanked the author RDR for the post:
NDM

evybody
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#51 Post by evybody »

The travelling community are most susceptible to galactosemia due to the small gene pool.

Return to “Advice/Anon”