Anyone get a litter fine - bottle bank?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Iamanisland

Re: Anyone get a litter fine - bottle bank?

#16 Post by Iamanisland »

I know of two people who were fined at bottle banks. Both for leaving bags behind. One was a garda and the other was a guy who volunteers picking up litter in the area so it was kinda funny in both cases. So if you left a box behind then that's it. It is actually littering even if it was by accident. They have cameras and would probably have gotten your car reg. Neither questioned it so it might be worth trying.

lois Griffin

#17 Post by lois Griffin »

My DH got a fine for this. He left a cardboard box beside the bottle bank without even thinking. They had the car registration and his mug on tape so there was no mistake he was at fault.

Lesson learnt.

Hermione

#18 Post by Hermione »

We got a fine at work, someone had taken a box from our recycling section which had the company name on it and then left it at the recycling banks down we got stuck with the fine had no choice but to pa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deise

#19 Post by Deise »

That's bizarre Hermione. How could you blame a company for having their name on a box? Lots of people have access to the boxes presumably.

Acrobat

#20 Post by Acrobat »

jammymammy wrote:Definitely ask to see the proof. If you don't normally litter and can't remember then maybe they are mistaken. If it was accidental then it's a lot to pay but at least you'll know for sure.
Sorry I rang - lady said I had a bag of bottles put them down. I started to take one out and put into bank and the bag fell over and they all fell out so I went running after them (on a slight hill) picking them up.into.the bank but left the plastic bag ... arrgghh... I told her it was obviously an honest mistake but she wasn't buying it .. arrgghh so pissed off with myself 150 ...will be more careful next time (or as someone said next time walk!.... sorry bad sense humor)
Last edited by Acrobat on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jammymammy

#21 Post by jammymammy »

Acrobat wrote:
jammymammy wrote:Definitely ask to see the proof. If you don't normally litter and can't remember then maybe they are mistaken. If it was accidental then it's a lot to pay but at least you'll know for sure.
Sorry I rang lany said I had a bag of bottles put them down. I started to take one out and put into bank and the bag full over and they all fell out so I went running after them picking them up.into.the bank but left the plastic bag ... arrgghh... I told her it was obviously an honest mistake but she wasn't buying it .. arrgghh so pissed off with myself 150 ...will be more careful next time (or as someone said next time walk!.... sorry bad sense humor)
Sorry to see this, was hoping it was a mistake on their part.

ginny

#22 Post by ginny »

Double post
Last edited by ginny on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ginny

#23 Post by ginny »

Acrobat wrote:
Sorry I rang lany said I had a bag of bottles put them down. I started to take one out and put into bank and the bag full over and they all fell out so I went running after them picking them up.into.the bank but left the plastic bag ... arrgghh... I told her it was obviously an honest mistake but she wasn't buying it .. arrgghh so pissed off with myself 150 ...will be more careful next time (or as someone said next time walk!.... sorry bad sense humor)
Have you emailed them? I wouldn’t deal with this query over the phone and neither should they. Phone again or email and ask for an appeals form. And a copy of the cctv/stills

Hermione

#24 Post by Hermione »

Deise wrote:That's bizarre Hermione. How could you blame a company for having their name on a box? Lots of people have access to the boxes presumably.
The box was addressed to our company so as far as the council were concerned we were the ones responsible for the disposal of the box and the fact that it was dumped at the recycling bays we had to pay it.

Ribbit

#25 Post by Ribbit »

shakey wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
Have you emailed them? I wouldn’t deal with this query over the phone and neither should they. Phone again or email and ask for an appeals form. And a copy of the cctv/stills
Shakey why should she appeal? It sounds like Acrobat believes the reason for the littering and will pay the fine. She's not disputing it.

I know it's a total PITA, great to see littering being targeted, just unfortunate that the OP got caught in accidental littering.
Ribbit

Poppy

#26 Post by Poppy »

shakey wrote:
Acrobat wrote:
But she littered - intentionally or not - there are no grounds for an appeal.

Jellytots

#27 Post by Jellytots »

Wouldn’t it be great if they provided somewhere to dump the bags & boxes & concentrated their efforts on fining people for not cleaning up after their dogs!!! It’s disgusting
These users thanked the author Jellytots for the post (total 2):
Aphexkinderegg

ginny

#28 Post by ginny »

Sorry I read that wrong - read like they told her she dropped the bag in which case I’d look for the evidence.

purple star

#29 Post by purple star »

Jellytots wrote:Wouldn’t it be great if they provided somewhere to dump the bags & boxes & concentrated their efforts on fining people for not cleaning up after their dogs!!! It’s disgusting
I agree on the dog litter, it's terrible

but why should they provide something for people to dump boxes and bags because we all know people would go and dump their refuse in there too. And boy other stuff they want rid of but won't pay for. It's not up to the council.
People need to take their own boxes home better still reuse them again.

jagg

#30 Post by jagg »

purple star wrote:
Jellytots wrote:Wouldn’t it be great if they provided somewhere to dump the bags & boxes & concentrated their efforts on fining people for not cleaning up after their dogs!!! It’s disgusting
I agree on the dog litter, it's terrible

but why should they provide something for people to dump boxes and bags because we all know people would go and dump their refuse in there too. And boy other stuff they want rid of but won't pay for. It's not up to the council.
People need to take their own boxes home better still reuse them again.

We used to live beside a bus stop and got fined for litter constantly outside in our hedge and on the wall from bus users. I asked the council to put in a bin, which they did. But they've since taken it away again as apparently people were filling it with small bags of household rubbish! I did see an elderly lady once putting a small bag of rubbish into a street bin (not same bin mind you) while wearing her dressing gown. I assume she was doing similar. Personally I think rubbish collection should be a municipal service paid for out of property taxes or general taxation with fines for improper sorting. Then policing of litter black spots wouldn't be necessary.

Return to “Advice/Anon”