Ticket Quandry

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Ticket Quandry
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ticket Quandry

#1 Post by Ticket Quandry »

I bought tickets for DD and her best friend to attend an event. €200 per ticket (ages 17)
Before I booked I asked DD to check that her friend was definitely going as they are very expensive. I could only afford to get two tickets no more (lots of her friends wanted tickets) and I was told yes and that she would find the money.
On the morning of the ticket sale I messaged the other mum to say, tickets are x price will I still get one?
And was told yes, thanks you are very good, are you sure?

I sent confirmation that tickets were purchased and got a reply, super I will fix you up when DH gets paid.

I expected to be paid there and then.The other mum is struggling financially but it's not really my business. I'm out of pocket now until the end of the month.
I know it's my own fault, I really should have checked everything first.
Unnamed poster5

Re: Ticket Quandry

#2 Post by Unnamed poster5 »

Honestly there really is nothing you can do. I have often done it myself - bought something and assumed incorrectly the person would have the manners to straight away hand over the cash or at least forewarn you that the money would not be available until a certain date. Sucks but nothing you can do at this point I guess. Very bad form on behalf of the other parent though.
Deise

#3 Post by Deise »

I'm not really sure what other options you're considering but I don't think you have any choice but to wait the 12 days or so til payday. It's unfortunate that you're stuck but you can't really sell to another child now.
Halfalump

#4 Post by Halfalump »

I would have assumed at the ‘yes sure you’re very good ‘ part that something was amiss , otherwise it would have been a ‘ yes thanks fix u up later ‘. . ....
These users thanked the author Halfalump for the post:
Bubbles
jagg

#5 Post by jagg »

I think the "are you sure? You're very good" was the clue. If someone was getting a ticket for me I'd have said "oh that'd be great, will I drop the money over now or tonight". Not much you can do about it now except chalk it up to experience. it is possible her child let her think you were ok to wait. That would fit with her reply too.
Ticket Quandry
Been thanked: 0

#6 Post by Ticket Quandry »

not a lot I can do, I know.
Rubbing salt into the would are images of them out at lunch, in coffee bars and DD telling me that her BF is going to a disco next week. I've told DD she cannot go because of the expense. Here I am out €200 for the next 20 days (at least)
Unnamed poster 7

#7 Post by Unnamed poster 7 »

Post Deleted
Iamsoneedy

#8 Post by Iamsoneedy »

I’d just make sure you will be paid at the end of the month tbh. ‘Thanks, you’re very good’ sounds like something you’d say to someone who gave you a present!
These users thanked the author Iamsoneedy for the post:
Milo
LucyS

#9 Post by LucyS »

I think in a situation where you need to be paid immediately, you have to make this very clear beforehand.

When I was reading your post initially, I presumed you were worried about not being paid at all or not until the actual event. End of the month is not that unreasonable. Most people tend to pay for tickets by credit card and would not have to pay the credit card bill until next month anyway. She is probably presuming this is the case.
janeymac

#10 Post by janeymac »

Because you offered to do the buying of the two tickets, the other mum might just assume that you're not stuck for money and you wouldn't mind waiting a couple of weeks to be paid back.
That's what I would read from the, 'you're very good, are you sure?'comments. It sounds like the other mother wasn't in a position to buy a ticket right then and assumed you having the cash to pay €400 for tickets meant you'd be ok to wait a little bit to be paid back.
If I was in your position and needed the cashback asap , then before I bought, I'd be apologetic but explain that I'd need the cash asap afterwards. If I hadn't explained that beforehand and not given the other mum the impression that I needed the money immediately, then I would be prepared to give someone a week or two if I had offered to do the buying and I knew they weren't very well off.
DazedandConfused

#11 Post by DazedandConfused »

I'd agree. I would have got the impression from you that you were in no rush and in that case I would think a month is reasonable. If you're worried she'd won't pay at all then that's a problem.
Sally

#12 Post by Sally »

She's struggling financially... but, are you?

If you are not actually impacted by not getting the €200 until end of the month, then I would just relax and wait to be paid. I've often been left waiting for money to arrive but so long as I get it in the end I didn't mind.

If however you are also struggling financially, then maybe you could contact her and ask if she could even pay half it now?

The fact she is having lunch , the daughter going to a disco etc are all beside the point. Maybe they are the "normal" monthly expenses for their family that they had budgeted for in advance, and just the €200 landing in unexpectedly is what they can't meet .
Unnamed poster 6

#13 Post by Unnamed poster 6 »

If it was me I would pay as soon as.
Who knows? She could be genuinely stuck,she might not. Shitty situation for you.
At least you know now. Once bitten..
Novbaby31

#14 Post by Novbaby31 »

Text her and ask for the money sooner. If you need it then ask rather than wait. The worst that can happen is you end up right back where you are now waiting till the end of the month. No point in sitting feeling bad about it just send the text.
Steps

#15 Post by Steps »

I'd just text and say that something has come up and you'd appreciate the money for the ticket asap.

If she can't pay or wasn't expecting to pay would one of your DD's friends be able to take the ticket instead?
Forget what hurt you but never forget what it taught you.

Return to “Advice/Anon”