Anxiety through the roof

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Stressy McStressface
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anxiety through the roof

#1 Post by Stressy McStressface »

Regular gone anon. I have long-term depression and anxiety-am going on holidays with my family in 2 weeks and my anxiety has gone through the roof. I always find stuff like this really stressful. I've been making lists and started packing small bits and pieces but this morning I'm paralyzed with anxiety. Pain in my chest, spiraling thoughts, funny breathing etc. Am a bit under the weather and not sleeping great which isn't helping either. Nearly had a full blown panic attack in work on Friday.

I don't want this to ruin the excitement of the holiday for me but I'm not sure what else to do besides lists and being prepared. Hate this so much.

tea

Re: Anxiety through the roof

#2 Post by tea »

You poor thing. Is there someone else who could help with packing and organising ( while you supervise if the thoughts of not doing it yourself feels too much).
I know it's hard to do but keep reminding yourself that it's "just" a holiday. Everyone travelling with you would rather you were well and enjoying it; kids don't care about what clothes they have with them. They just care about having fun with their family. As long as you have a few clothes, swimsuit, toothbrush and any essential medication that's all you need. Anything else can be bought out there

Starryeyedsurprise

#3 Post by Starryeyedsurprise »

You poor thing op. I suffer from depression/anxiety and oddly enough, holidays and going away stresses me out big time :/

Your lack of sleep doesn't help either. Do try to get an early night later.
These users thanked the author Starryeyedsurprise for the post:
Shelly

Howiya Ma

#4 Post by Howiya Ma »

Are you on medication for your anxiety? Would you consider going to the gp before your holiday and get a prescription? Outside of that, make sure to get out for some exercise, avoid coffee and alcohol, practise some deep breathing etc xxx

Ribbit

#5 Post by Ribbit »

Holidays make me anxious too. It's just the thoughts of being away that I find tough. I can pack, but packing reminds me of the new stuff I will have to encounter while away, the unfamiliarity, the newness, it just stresses me.

Go to your GP. You might need a prescription for the short term to get you through the next few weeks. Above everything, it'd be nice to enjoy the holiday while you are there, a prescription of some may help.
Ribbit

Stressy McStressface

#6 Post by Stressy McStressface »

I have been on anti anxiety meds in the past and they worked really well but I'd be reluctant to go back on them, especially since this is time specific and should go once the holiday is over...i hope.

H is very good but it's difficult for him to understand the thought processes behind it. He wants to help and is supportive but telling me not to worry doesn't really work! I'm back with my doc on Wed so will talk to him about it. Trying to get enough sleep but the anxiety means I'm finding it very difficult to fall asleep at night and then i get early morning waking so am only averaging about 5 hrs sleep which is way too little for me.

Part of the problem is that I'm really looking forward to this holiday and am really excited about it but that leads me to want it to be perfect which then leads to me stressing.

Shelly

#7 Post by Shelly »

I'm sorry to read this but I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have spent the last two years drought with anxiety as we prepare for holidays. Almost spoiling the build up but its the build up that gets me v anxious and then that leads to poor sleep.

I have never taken anything for the anxiety but I know that mot gps would be happy to discuss your options. Can you look into CBT options for the future?

Leinster mum

#8 Post by Leinster mum »

Definitely talk to your doctor as you say it's time specific there might be something they can suggest based specifically on that.

One thing that works for me packing is I do it as I'm putting away the washing. So an outfit worn by one of the kids this week would just go into the bag rather than away into the wardrobe. Doing it bit by bit means I don't panic about not having it all ready to go in one sitting if that makes sense.

Hope you find something that works soon

Stressy McStressface

#9 Post by Stressy McStressface »

Shelly I've done CBT before... twice! I know what i should be doing and the theory behind changing my mindset on this but finding it difficult to do this time!

Leinster Mum that's exactly what I've been doing the last few days! It does help, i just need to stop checking the bag obsessively!

I'm ok if I'm not thinking about the holiday but as soon as i do then i start getting panicky. My kids are really excited about it too so trying to keep up the excitement for them and not show my anxiety is exhausting.

Stressy McStressface

#10 Post by Stressy McStressface »

Thought i had replied to this on Sunday night... anyway Shelly I've done a few rounds of CBT and know all the theory behind it, what to do etc but tbh i find it very difficult to put into practice when inn doing this bad.

Leinster Mum that'd exactly what I've been doing with the washing actually- great minds! Just need to stop rechecking it now.

Things came to a head yesterday when i had to leave work. Without going in to detail the mental health services in this country are a joke. An absolute joke. But hopefully I my case things will improve from here.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply x

Return to “Advice/Anon”