Out of hours text messages

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
sooon

Re: Out of hours text messages

#31 Post by sooon »

It sounds like this is the way she communicated with her previous manager? Either say it to her tomorrow that you'd rather she rang you on the morning of her absence or if she txts you again ask her to call you in the morning.

Flux

#32 Post by Flux »

The car service would surely have been booked in advance - not late last night. She could easily have told you during work time and with more notice. I would pull her up on that one and set some expectations - advance notice during work hours unless in case of emergency or sudden illness. I think she's testing your boundaries.
These users thanked the author Flux for the post:
Unnamed poster5

Moto Moto

#33 Post by Moto Moto »

Manager wrote:Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. I know getting a promotion brings it's added responsibilities it's just about getting a feel for what's normal in this scenario as it is new to me. I have to say I agree with jammymammy on the protecting personal time, this is fine now but should it become a more regular thing managing more people I wouldn't like it. I think my main worry is that when I'm given work related info late in the evening when out and about or whatever I could quite easily forget the following morning!

To be honest I think I'm on a learning curve on this and as a generally friendly and cheerful person myself and got the promotion based on my technical skills but this grade brought with it staff. I think I need to be a little more managerial, if that's the right way of putting it as the same staff member texted me this evening to tell me she will be in a couple of hours later tomorrow as she is bringing her car to be serviced. No question mark. No mention of making this time up. The car is not necessary for work, I do all my car and household admin in my own time and I don't think that's unusual.
She is testing your boundary’s as poster above said to see how far she can go . The txt last night was not appropriate and she is pulling the piss . I had this my first week in management a staff member seeing how I would react etc and in this case you need to be very clear with her that what she has done is inappropriate. I don’t know what area you work in but a staff member just saying they are not coming in till late etc and not seeking permission would be in serious trouble, you need to call her in and have a chat or you will be walked on forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Moto Moto for the post:
feebiefoo

LucyS

#34 Post by LucyS »

I don't think the serious issue here is her texting late in the evening. I would not have a major issue with anyone texting to let me to let me know they are ill and out the next day.

The problem here is that it sounds like she is really taking the proverbial. I'm presuming she did this to the previous manager too. I think you need have a serious talk with her as she is undermining your authority.

Unnamed poster 6

#35 Post by Unnamed poster 6 »

I wouldn't have too much of an issue with the texting, however, it is perfectly acceptable for you to have and to want some procedures around it.
You raise a good point about forgetting something from the night before.
Also, how does she know in advance how she feels regarding the next morning?
What are your company's procedures for absences? I think you need to return to this, or if none exist, set your own. Do you have a system of time off in lieu?
Here if I am sick I must ring within my first hour of work. Either reception or email my manager.
If I need to take some toil I must flag it in advance - we have a record system - or if it is a couple of hours I can then inform a colleague. Above two hours is more formal. But we have system of TOIL.

maplesyrup
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#36 Post by maplesyrup »

I think it can be ok to notify a line manager the night before if something comes up that means you won't be in the next day, but assuming she can get time off for a car service is another story altogether. I wondered why you gave her your personal number though. It's tantamount to giving permission to contact you outside of work hours.

Darva

#37 Post by Darva »

Check what the company policy is on sick leave and annual leave. And then remind staff member that you most phone in the morning if you are sick and that you must give a certain amounts but of notice for annual leave for things like car servicing. Or whatever the policy is.

We would only text line manager outside work hours about being sick in exceptional circumstances. E.g. If you were meeting early the next morning to go to an offsite meeting and you couldn't make it.
We are never to just text. We always have to phone the office and speak to manager or leave a message on a particular phone that is always checked even if manager is out.

Novbaby31

#38 Post by Novbaby31 »

Personally I think it goes with the terrority of management. But then I am receiving texts, phone calls,e-mails outside core hours all the time so my view may be a little skewed. I don't think it intrudes on personal time too much as I get to leave the office knowing I can follow up on stuff from home. And I appreciate a heads up.

Return to “Advice/Anon”