Out of hours text messages

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Iamsoneedy

Re: Out of hours text messages

#16 Post by Iamsoneedy »

I would always text a colleague the night before if I knew I wasn't going to be in the next morning. And they me. I'd much prefer to know the night before if someone wasn't going to be in. At least that way I can mentally prepare or try and get cover.
Manager
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#17 Post by Manager »

Thanks for the replies. I guess we are all different on these things and it is certainly not a major issue as I said, it's just not something I like personally late in the evening or on my days off both of which I've had. I do appreciate it's with good intentions but the work involved there is no need for notice as I cannot do anything about it personally until I am in the office. In fact on a practical level it's much more convenient for me to hear in the morning when I can immediately notify the people she works with, who would be involved in getting cover etc. In our company we don't often work with those we manage, she is on a different floor so I have to email myself a reminder for the next morning in case I forget. No big deal though, I was just curious as to how it works elsewhere.
Tinky

#18 Post by Tinky »

I haven't read all replies so this might have been covered but I think the colleague is texting you at night as it means she doesn't have to make a point of being up in the morning to go through the proper procedure of contacting line manager before 9am or whatever your handbook says. Partly this is sensible of her as it means she can sleep in and shake off her bug but I would still be inclined to ask her to just follow the procedure set out by HR to keep things right because if you were out sick the next day then no one would know about her. Part of your job as manager is to refer her to set policies and procedures if she's not following them.
RedHen

#19 Post by RedHen »

Is there a set procedure for calling in sick at your workplace? If there isn't one, the employee can't be blamed for not following it.
dutchie

#20 Post by dutchie »

I think this comes with the managerial job in my opinion. From my DH's experience managers jobs don't just finish up at 5pm and off you..... its about taking on more and sucking it up unfortunately..... I think she was doing you a favour - she was just updating you on her position. A reply to her was not necessary. Its just a heads up - end of story.
HeyJude

#21 Post by HeyJude »

This comes with management I'm afraid. If you feel you can't do anything about it until the morning, then feel free not to read the text or you could ask her to email your work email address instead?? But tbh I have had texts & phone calls at all hours of the night and day. Its why I don't do it anymore. There was an expectation (US multi-national) of being available at all times.
bingbong

#22 Post by bingbong »

I'm afraid I'd be saying it probably comes with the territory unfortunately! I am and have been in management but with fantastic time related flexibility which I wouldn't change for all the world. I appreciate it so much that I would take the less pleasant aspects of it on the chin. I am very lucky though as I know not everyone in management has the level of flexibility I have so I can understand it being a problem for others.
Working Mum

#23 Post by Working Mum »

Ruby wrote:Very much part of management in my experience.... calls and texts
The joys of management I'm afraid.

You get used to it.
Moto Moto

#24 Post by Moto Moto »

You need to check out you policies. Do you have a dedicated sick leave policy on what is a appropriate etc then enforce this policy .

Staff do contact me out of hours sometimes I manage 20 + people and I expect it . The majority are completely appropriate and stuff I need to know or be aware of I have no issue with it . I expect it as part of the job but if I did feel it a inappropriate level of contact I would be saying so it simply not answering full stop . I don’t have a work phone .

There does have to be boundaries etc and you need to be aware of policy on out of hours contact .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 Post by Guest »

Thanks everyone. I replied above that we do have a policy but on these threads the replies I post in real time are delayed and then posted further back in the thread so posters don't see it. We are a small organisation and these things are often quite loose in reality in the absence of a dedicated HR department. I follow the policy myself and never texted or called my manager outside working hours.

I was just testing the water as to what usually happens in other organisations. I don't have a major objection to it I just did not expect it really and found it a bit odd myeslf for example to get a text from this person when I was travelling to a wedding on my day off not due back at the office for four days. But fair enough if that's part of management it's not that big a deal for me. There is a fill in manager for when I am not in the office so I just asked her to discuss it with that person as I wasn't in a position to reply properly.

I will be asking for this to be deleted just in case.
Moto Moto

#26 Post by Moto Moto »

I have got messages when traveling to family funerals etc and on the way to the airport on holidays . If there is a person in charge when you are away then you did the right thing referring the employee onto them . Some people will never contact you and others you will hear from a lot . It takes time to get used to . I am not bothered by it now . Managing people is not easy by any means .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LilyAllen

#27 Post by LilyAllen »

ali wrote:I agree with you. Text her or email that outside of work is your personal family time and to please respect this and text only within business hours.
This is what you don't do. Dealing with this is part of management - as is relationship building with your staff. The above is too heavy handed and I personally would take absolutely no notice of the situation you have described. Obviously it's difficult to generalise but if you are new to management, with one staff member, you don't want to over think it and you want to have a appropriate professional relationship with your staff member.
jammymammy

#28 Post by jammymammy »

None of the people I have direct line management responsibility for have my personal mobile and They know that my blackberry is usually off out of hours. It's not really 'part of management' to have people intrude on your personal time. Sometimes they email me to request a day off with short notice but not sick leave and they generally follow it up with a call early the next morning. They know the guidelines. It's better to have it clear from the outset for both parties.
Personally, I prefer to deal with work issues from 8am, I don't want to know about it as I'm going to bed for a nice sleep.
Manager

#29 Post by Manager »

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. I know getting a promotion brings it's added responsibilities it's just about getting a feel for what's normal in this scenario as it is new to me. I have to say I agree with jammymammy on the protecting personal time, this is fine now but should it become a more regular thing managing more people I wouldn't like it. I think my main worry is that when I'm given work related info late in the evening when out and about or whatever I could quite easily forget the following morning!

To be honest I think I'm on a learning curve on this and as a generally friendly and cheerful person myself and got the promotion based on my technical skills but this grade brought with it staff. I think I need to be a little more managerial, if that's the right way of putting it as the same staff member texted me this evening to tell me she will be in a couple of hours later tomorrow as she is bringing her car to be serviced. No question mark. No mention of making this time up. The car is not necessary for work, I do all my car and household admin in my own time and I don't think that's unusual.
sooon

#30 Post by sooon »

It sounds like this is the way she communicated with her previous manager? Either say it to her tomorrow that you'd rather she rang you on the morning of her absence or if she txts you again ask her to call you in the morning.

Return to “Advice/Anon”