Out of hours text messages

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Manager
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Out of hours text messages

#1 Post by Manager »

I am posting anon because this is work related. It is very minor thing but just looking for experience. I was recently promoted to manager and I manage just one person so far, two more coming down the line. Right now having someone to manage is fairly new to me. I notice this person is regularly sick and/or having appointments etc and sometimes she texts me outside work hours. Last night it was a long text at 10.07pm and tonight again an update at 9.30pm that she is still sick etc. I would personally always keep non-urgent work communications like this within work hours. She is sick with a cold so it is not urgent. I'm friends with colleagues and would be in contact casually sometimes but not work related requests like this late in the evening.

I feel like I spent 8 hours in the office and the rest getting there and back and now I'm sitting down in my PJs with my book after putting the kids to bed and the text puts me into work mode having to reply.
Am I being precious about this? I just hope it isn't the norm.
Thanks
ali

Re: Out of hours text messages

#2 Post by ali »

I agree with you. Text her or email that outside of work is your personal family time and to please respect this and text only within business hours.
Dobble

#3 Post by Dobble »

A text message wouldn't bother me, a phone call would though
These users thanked the author Dobble for the post (total 3):
snow-whiteUnnamed posterLilyAllen
snow-white

#4 Post by snow-white »

Would be the norm in the last 2 places i worked.
I.suppose in our case its letting us know the night before rather than that morning if possible incase we need to try organise cover etc. So the more notice the better
Likewise i have often got text messages from my boss late at night one at 1am and very early in the morning as in 6am re work relates things.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Nora

#5 Post by Nora »

I don't respond to any work texts/ emails outside working hours unless its urgent. The people I manage know this equally I wouldn't call or text them unless it's urgent. I used to in a previous job and it became expected.

It's company policy where I work to have to call your supervisor/ manager if ringing in sick or with an update etc.

Nora
Unnamed poster5

#6 Post by Unnamed poster5 »

Is she contacting you because she is letting you know she cant be in to do her job in the morning so maybe you can get cover or at least have a heads up on this?

Messages outside of office hours be you a manager or not are a pain in the ass but sometimes, especially if you have a work phone, then it will come with the territory.

Is this your personal or work phone? Just assuming your work one - I had a complaint come through there about 10 mins ago myself. Nothing urgent, not to the company anyway, and I will be ignoring it till tomorrow morning but if your phone is a company phone OR (as in my case) a certain email address or facebook account is also linked to your phone then I guess being contacted out of hours is something you will either have to deal with or ignore till 'business hours' - depending on company poilicy.
Jane

#7 Post by Jane »

As someone else said I think it depends on whether you would need to get cover etc.
Have you discussed this with her? Maybe she was asked to do this with previous manager.
Manager

#8 Post by Manager »

Thanks, there is no cover required it is a clerical position. It is definitely something that could wait until the morning. I suppose I just need to say it if it continues to be a regular thing but as she is sensitive enough person I need to be careful.

I genuinely don't like anything work related in my free time as I get very little free time. It's my personal phone.
Primrose

#9 Post by Primrose »

I occasionally get texts from the staff on my team. Mostly they would wait until working hours, or early morning if they know then to text me. It doesn't bother me personally but if it does on occasion for a particular reason which does happen sometimes I just ignore the message until I feel I am ready to reply. I certainly don't feel under pressure to text someone back in the evening but most of the time they are trying to do the right thing by giving me good notice of their issue so I usually do. However most of my team have been working with me for about 10 years so they know I don't mind the odd text.

I also have a work phone, I usually leave that in my bag in the evenings unless I want to check something in particular. If I decide to take it out I deal with the emails/messages that need urgent attention. (Most of my team don't have this number because my own number predates it, it would be other colleagues in the wider organisation).
Ruby

#10 Post by Ruby »

Very much part of management in my experience.... calls and texts
These users thanked the author Ruby for the post (total 3):
mum22snow patrolHeyJude
jammymammy

#11 Post by jammymammy »

On the first morning of sickness staff should call me before 10 am. Text/email is not allowed in the policy and they can't get someone else to call on their behalf (although if they are seriously ill then I would obviously have no issue with someone else letting me know) . They don't need to update me daily. After 5 days a doctors cert is required.
Is there a policy? If so, How many absences does your policy allow before disciplinary proceedings begin? I would seek advice from your own manager or hr dept on how it should be done. Do you conduct a return to work interview? Maybe the person has an underlying condition?
Our policy is pretty black and white (we are a huge organisation) but it also allows for line managers discretion.
Ophelia

#12 Post by Ophelia »

Our work policy is as above, you contact by phone in the morning. Absent employees are not covered.
I’ve received text messages at all hours and generally it does not bother me. I did have to draw the line when one girl sent me hourly updates on messenger regarding on how unwell she was feeling and how she was getting worse, this went to 4 am. :x Ridiculous drama and was just attention seeking. If this individual is sending you lengthy texts late in the evening I’d suggest you tell her that a short text will suffice.
RedHen

#13 Post by RedHen »

She probably thinks she's doing you a favour by giving you notice from the previous evening that she won't be in. A text up to 10pm wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
These users thanked the author RedHen for the post:
snow-white
salsa

#14 Post by salsa »

I often get sms messages, doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I would like to be informed the night before if someone is going to be in / out. just so I know, not that I would do anything as such.
barneyrubble

#15 Post by barneyrubble »

I would imagine she thinks she's being helpful by letting you know the night beforehand that she is still absent. If I knew the night before that I wouldn't be fit to go back to work the following day I'd prob send manager a text too

Return to “Advice/Anon”