Any parents of gifted children?

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Frazzled
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any parents of gifted children?

#1 Post by Frazzled »

I'm a regular lurker gone anon. I have 3 children 2 boys ages 5 and 6 and a girl age 1. Both boys have reached milestones earlier than the average and we regularly receive comments about ds1 and his intellect and extensive vocabulary. I knew they were OK intelligence wise but didn't put much pass on it. We have had behavioural issues with both boys since they were toddlers. It reached a head recently with ds2 and I sought the opinion of a child psychologist. I nearly fell off my seat when she said she was convinced he was gifted and would strongly advise having him assessed. The assessment is €500! She reckons ds1 is the same. He suffers in school as kids don't really play with him. I've heard kids say they don't understand what he is talking about. Teacher has also said he can lash out in frustration. I would love to have him assessed to help him in school. Problem is cost. We said we would do a few parenting sessions to help. In some ways it is a relief to know we are not just shitty parents and kids need help. Anybody any ideas on how to get assessment either publicly or privately but at a reduced cost? I was expecting ODD today and I am totally out of my depth now. Plus my bil was a child genius does that mean anything? Feel free to pm me. Really need help
MonkeyBars

Re: Any parents of gifted children?

#2 Post by MonkeyBars »

I recently spoke to a guy i work with who told me the exact same story as you’ve just told. That his kid was disruptive in school and they thought he had ADHD turns out he is a genius who was bored in school. He does extra work and some attends college as well (if i remember correctly). This guy wouldn’t be short of a few bob so I’d say he paid but it would be worth asking the School or PHN if there is anything there for them
Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
jagg

#3 Post by jagg »

https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Col ... rents.html

This might be of some help. Perhaps your child's school.can have your child assessed under their NEPs allocation. Unfortunately we have a tendency to focus resources on the low end of attainment. We need to start recogising the differing needs of those truly gifted students who need just as much help if not more, to engage with a curriculum developed for more typically devloping children.
Last edited by jagg on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shivvy

#4 Post by Shivvy »

DS2 was assessedby Professor Fitzgerald privately last Friday. He has Aspergers, ADHD, mild ODD and is gifted. Its been recommended that he attend CTYI but they dont take them till aged 5 (hes 5 in March). It costs €350 with a discount of €50 if you are a member of DCA warriors Facebook page.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Nora

#5 Post by Nora »

Have you spoken to the teachers in the school? DD1's teacher recently called me aside and recommended thst DD be assessed by The CYTi in DCU (they have other centres around the country too) she's in 6th class and while I knew she was fairly bright and so far hasn't struggled in school, is well behaved but as soon a set work is completed she reads to keep herself from getting bored. This year her teacher has been giving her extra more challenging work. So maybe the school could help you there?

I think the assessment for CTyi is €45 now the courses cost more but there's loads of information on the website below.

Good luck

Nora
http://www.dcu.ie/ctyi
These users thanked the author Nora for the post (total 2):
fourarmsShelly
OddSox

#6 Post by OddSox »

https://m.facebook.com/groups/175473905889345

This is a great place to get advice
JoJo

#7 Post by JoJo »

jagg wrote:https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Col ... rents.html

This might be of some help. Perhaps your child's school.can have your child assessed under their NEPs allocation. Unfortunately we have a tendency to focus resources on the low end of attainment. We need to start recogising the differing needs of those truly gifted students who need just as much help if not more, to engage with a curriculum developed for more typically devloping children.
NEPS don't do assessments anymore per say. If the school wish to have NEPS involved they can request it and the psych will meet with the school & parents to discuss a plan of action. There is a Continuum of Support that must be followed first with the school. It is a step in the right direction though as it is hard for a gifted child not to get bored in school.
DS 18
DD 13
Darva

#8 Post by Darva »

My 3 daughters all went to CTYI. It is more for generally bright kids rather than specifically gifted. I know for my twins at least 25% of the kids in the class went to CTYI because we shared lifts.
The courses are expensive and I think the standard of them varies.

I think some of the kids who benefit most are those who struggle in other areas and it helps to build their self esteem.
apache

#9 Post by apache »

I have some experience of this. DM me if you want a confidential chat and advice.
socky

#10 Post by socky »

I haven't had a formal assessment for Dd3 (first class, 6) but I think she is probably gifted, esp. at maths. Her behaviour is good though and because her school is small she can mix with older kids. I spoke with her teacher at ptm and she had ordered a literacy box that is self-directed and she is giving her extra maths. We talked about sideways learning as well so she is not going ahead of the curriculum but will do other stuff like suduko, extra sums, other worksheets, which she can do if she is finished her work. You could ask your kids teacher to implement something similar or you could send in material for them yourself.
pichet

#11 Post by pichet »

Darva wrote:My 3 daughters all went to CTYI. It is more for generally bright kids rather than specifically gifted. I know for my twins at least 25% of the kids in the class went to CTYI because we shared lifts.

I think some of the kids who benefit most are those who struggle in other areas and it helps to build their self esteem.
Agree with this, Ds2 attended and enjoyed it, I wouldn't ever have considered him gifted and the courses did vary in standard . . From what I have heard the truly gifted find CTY very basic, I rhink the secondary school courses i CTY are better though and the entry requirements higher.
JoJo

#12 Post by JoJo »

socky wrote:We talked about sideways learning as well so she is not going ahead of the curriculum but will do other stuff like suduko, extra sums, other worksheets, which she can do if she is finished her work. You could ask your kids teacher to implement something similar or you could send in material for them yourself.
This works great and is what my nephews teacher is doing with him. Keeps him busy and learning but not too far ahead that the problem escalates the following year.
DS 18
DD 13
Radar

#13 Post by Radar »

pichet wrote:
Darva wrote:My 3 daughters all went to CTYI. It is more for generally bright kids rather than specifically gifted. I know for my twins at least 25% of the kids in the class went to CTYI because we shared lifts.

Agree with this, Ds2 attended and enjoyed it, I wouldn't ever have considered him gifted and the courses did vary in standard . . From what I have heard the truly gifted find CTY very basic, I rhink the secondary school courses i CTY are better though and the entry requirements higher.

Same here , my younger two attended CTYI and enjoyed some of the courses. While they are both very bright, particularly DS4 and easily qualified, there was no requirement for them to be gifted.

Return to “Advice/Anon”