DD told us she is gay.

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Iamsoneedy

Re: DD told us she is gay.

#16 Post by Iamsoneedy »

I took that to mean there’s no need to make a big announcement at school just yet. Straight people don’t have to after all.
These users thanked the author Iamsoneedy for the post (total 2):
poshspiceGroucho

Aruba

#17 Post by Aruba »

Well done mama, your girl is so young to be so in tune with her feelings.

DS1 is out about a year now and hes 16. In this house we always stress that your sexuality doesn't define you. No need for the announcement but she need never deny it. Sounds like she knows her own mind and thats fab. May her confidence be an inspiration to others

Guest55
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#18 Post by Guest55 »

Hi, OP here.
Thank you all very much for your replies and advice, I really appreciate it and am going show DH responses later.
There will be no secrets, why would we hide who she is, she is the sum of many parts and her sexuality is only one of them. There will be no big announcements either. She knows we support her either way and she is very young still and things might change.

I hadn’t considered talking to the school, but will bear that in mind should things develop further. Her year head is very approachable .

Thanks again x

felicity

#19 Post by felicity »

RDR

Feelings at 13 change. That's a fact. Being 13 is confusing. That's a fact.
Maybe she is gay and will settle down with a lovely girl but she may also look back at this in 20 years time while holding hands with her husband. Just because I worded it differently to you doesn't make me wrong or mean I am belittling her or thinking of it in a negative way. How dare you suggest I am when you know nothing about me.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Novbaby31

#20 Post by Novbaby31 »

The likelihood is that she has already discussed this with friends before discussing with you anyway. It would be really surprising if her best friends are not already aware.

It is fantastic that she trusts you both and was comfortable in your relationship to be able to have what is a mature and honest conversation about something that many adults struggle with. She clearly feels loved and safe and trusts you both. That open communication is wonderful and ye are clearly doing a great job as parents.

I'd agree with other posters on ensuring that you don't inadvertently give a signal of needing to hide this part of her. I've seen what an ill thought phrase and ask to consider who someone told about their sexuality did to them. It was so far from the intent but it made the person feel there was something shameful about their sexuality.

Return to “Advice/Anon”