Advice about elderly mother and post surgery

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Anonymous 21
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Advice about elderly mother and post surgery

#1 Post by Anonymous 21 »

Hello. A good friend recommended this site for advice.

My y mother is 82 and lives alone. She manages but has become somewhat confused and has difficulty walking far. She is scheduled for major surgery next week. How do we get convalescence care for her after release from hospital? We cannot be there to help her and she will not be able to manage without a lot of help. Does the hospital arrange this or a PHN? She has a medical card and we can't afford private care. She is in Waterford. Thank you.
tippexile

Re: Advice about elderly mother and post surgery

#2 Post by tippexile »

There is a budget for convalescence care after a hospital stay but you have to fight for it. As soon as you can, contact the phn and explain that you are unable to look after her. Then when she is in hospital, reiterate that to the nurses on her ward and ask to speak to the hospital social worker. It might seem like you will have to fight but just keep repeating that there is no other option other than a convalescent stay. It will be in a nursing home and normally only for 2 weeks. We had to do all of this when MIL was going to be discharged from hospital after an illness.
Good luck and just remember to keep repeating that you can't look after her
RDR

#3 Post by RDR »

No direct experience but have been told the same as tippexile. I think it was said on here before that it you take her out of hospital even for a night or two, all interest in getting her convalescent care will disappear so you have to be stubborn about it.

I don't know about your mum's PHN but it recently came out here that the nurses in the public health centre my dad goes to twice a week for the last 20 months didn't know he lived alone. Based on that I'd say don't assume they know even basics about your mum's set-up.

Best of luck.
Nodrog

#4 Post by Nodrog »

Also insist on a care plan for when she leaves respite as she won't be improving with age and things will only go downhill from here.

Ask the GP to send a letter to the PHN for an assessment of needs.
This AON will be carried out by the PHN and will/should result in your mum getting home help
Contact meals on wheels in your area and start the ball rolling.
The below might help you:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=118221
pichet

#5 Post by pichet »

Nodrog wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:39 pm Also insist on a care plan for when she leaves respite as she won't be improving with age and things will only go downhill from here.

Ask the GP to send a letter to the PHN for an assessment of needs.
This AON will be carried out by the PHN and will/should result in your mum getting home help
Contact meals on wheels in your area and start the ball rolling.
The below might help you:

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=118221
As said above, you need to contact her public health nurse, one of you will have to be listed as her carer so that they have a contact point. It does vary by county and if it's any consolation, my mother lived in the same part of the country and we got a lot of support for her at home (carers, equipment etc) despite the fact that she didn't live alone. Once you are in the system it's easier and don't let her leave the hospital until a care plan is put in place.

#6 Post by Guest »

I would like to thank you all. I know what I must do.
celticglory

#7 Post by celticglory »

Happened my father and he's currently getting looked after elsewhere since August. He had two major back surgery's and had lost the ability to walk etc so needed a lot of work. Hopefully he will be home next week. We have declined care at home for now as there is siblings living there and he's walking with a frame/stick so with accomadating should have the support he needs.

Don't take them home from hospital if they can't be looked after. I know it sounds harsh but it's really not fair on them and with covid it's hard to access services as easily. Not all PHN work in the best interests so sometimes you have to go higher.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Nodrog

#8 Post by Nodrog »

How is your mum doing OP? Hope the surgery went well.
Can't PM you to ask

#9 Post by Guest »

Thank you for thinking of us. My mother had a very successful surgery and is currently receiving convalescence in a HSE nursing home. Thank you to everybody who gave me information.
Nodrog

#10 Post by Nodrog »

So delighted to hear your mjms surgery was successful, and she is convalescing in a nursing home.
She will receive super care, don't be guilt tripped into takin her home without a care plan in place.
Wishing your mum continued good health and a peaceful xmas

Return to “Advice/Anon”