Marriage in Crisis

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Unloved
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Marriage in Crisis

#1 Post by Unloved »

Excuse the ramblings and I may delete... My marriage is in crisis and I need advice. We have had a few problems in our marriage and have buried our heads in the sand on both sides. We don't communicate anymore, no intimacy and are just existing. Throw in busy jobs and small kids, one with extra needs and sick parents. It's all come to a head and DH isn't sure how he feels and this is not what he wants and said he feels we should split. I was gutted. Yes things aren't great but I felt all the issues could be sorted if we weren't so stubborn and take heads out of the sand. I told him I wanted to fight for our marriage but he said he wasn't sure. I asked him to confide in a good friend of his who he trusts. Fast forward a few weeks and we are still skirting around our issues and he hadn't said what he wants and I'm sick that we have thrown the relationship away. He hadn't confided in his friend. I don't know why but one day I picked up his phone. There i found texts from a female colleague I don't know. There were love song links from her (break up )and life quotes from him to her. I was gutted and confronted him. He could talk to her but not his wife. Turns out she's in middle of seperating and DH is her listening buddy and confided back to her he was unhappy in his own marriage. He couldn't talk/wouldn't talk to me.He has rowed back on a few things I've asked about her/their friendship. This has thrown me into a spin. I feel a line has been crossed and my trust has been shaken. It also doesn't help I've weight on and feel like shit and she's younger and beautiful. I really don't know where to go from here. Any advice/help. I don't have a lot of friends and feel I can't confide in anyone right now.
Nodrog

Re: Marriage in Crisis

#2 Post by Nodrog »

I'm sorry you are going through this. It sounds like his head has been turned. It's rare a man opts out of a marriage without having another woman waiting in the wings.

I would get my financial statements etc in order.
https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/relationsh ... air-script
These users thanked the author Nodrog for the post (total 3):
Unnamed Poster 8Jbl3CLBG
Tinky

#3 Post by Tinky »

I think if you ask him to go to counselling as your marriage, kids and life you’ve built together is owed that chance and he isn’t keen, hesitates, puts it off.. you have your answer as to where his head is at.

I think you are owed more than him not talking to you about what is going on whilst he sorts his head out or whatever he’s doing.

Sorry you are going through this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Tinky for the post (total 5):
SmokeUnnamed Poster 8VinoHeyJudeJbl3
Shining

#4 Post by Shining »

I'm so sorry to read this. How difficult for you. It must be so hard. No matter what, you WILL get through this.
I'm afraid to say that when I read your message first and read he was not prepared to do anything, not even chat to a friend, I thought immediately was there something on the scene for him.
I too would find that emotional betrayal hard to take. It's not right or respectful to you.
If I were you I would suggest one last chance to ask him his intentions and if he is prepared to work on your marriage and go to counselling, because it would take a lot of work for me to get over such a betrayal (and I think you need to assess whether such work would be worth it). If he's not interested I'm afraid that's your answer. You have given it your all then and you can't say you didn't try everything. If it is a no I would encourage you to draw boundaries around him (not being available as an emotional punchbag or the fall back). Edited to say I'd also put a deadline on his answer because I can see him dragging on the situation and I have seen this so many times (including personally).
You owe it to yourself and your family not to be living this kind of half life.
Also you really need to chat to someone in real life. Pick up the phone and chat with someone today.
These users thanked the author Shining for the post:
Jbl3
Elsie

#5 Post by Elsie »

so sorry to hear this. we all know how easy it can be to fall into the rut of life and every day is groundhog day.
i agree that you should at least try councelling if not to repair your marriage but at least for both of you to get it all off your chest, this room is usually safe space to lay your cards on the table. it would be awful to give up without a fight so to speak.
Maybe you just need to remind yourselves why you fell in love, actually spend some time with each other without the kids/house etc
and i know you feel your trust may be broken but sometimes talking to someone who is away from the situation and doesnt know your other half may make it easier to talk . Im not saying it was right for him to talk to this other lady but maybe she isnt a threat at all. i have a couple of male friends at work that i would confide in over female ones, so just dont let that be a reason iykwim.
best of luck and also agree with nodrog as this is usually where the biggest arguments land
HeyJude

#6 Post by HeyJude »

I agree with Tinky. You've said you want to fight for the marriage, he's not sure. Tell him you want to fight for it and go to counselling etc. to see if you can get through this. If he refuses then unfortunately he's not interested in staying.

Even if himself and his colleague are really good friends (and I had 2 very close male friends in one work place), what they are texting sounds 'off'.

As another poster said get your financial ducks in a row and then whatever happens you are prepared for that bit.
Overthere

#7 Post by Overthere »

If he won’t go to marriage counselling it’s very telling. Ask him again and he refuses then take time to plan your next steps. I would really recommend individual counselling- it helps to formulate your plans and thoughts. Good luck.
Unnamed Poster 8

#8 Post by Unnamed Poster 8 »

Post Deleted
Carmella

#9 Post by Carmella »

Go to counselling.
Both of you together and go by yourself also.
Ask him to give it a try and that if it doesn’t work then at least it will help with the split so that you are both on the same page with the children. I would insist he goes to counselling with you and I would book it today.

Get help. Good luck.
Groucho

#10 Post by Groucho »

I agree with the others. He really should be making an honest effort to fight for the marriage and get things back on track. If only for the kids. My friend's DH has checked out of their marriage (mentally and literally) and the kids are so upset. Whatever about the spouse*, I can't comprehend not making every possible effort to spare putting kids through that - unless every other avenue had been exhausted.

*ETA I don't mean that to sound harsh. I am really sorry for what you are going through. I just meant that romantic relationships can take stumbles or break, but I don't know how anyone can just attempt to feck off from their kids without a backward glance.
tel

#11 Post by tel »

Sounds like he has checked out already and is already embarking on an emotional affair
Sounds like he is waiting for you to agree with his feelings to not make him look like a bad guy
I am sorry you are going through this but it sounds like he is not that interested in making it work now
take care
Unloved
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#12 Post by Unloved »

Thank you all for taking time to reply. Lots of wise words and lots to think about.
tea

#13 Post by tea »

I would set aside a time to talk. Or actually, for you to ask questions which he needs to answer.
Does he want to save the marriage?
If so, will he agree to work on it, agree to counselling?
You can ask aboit the woman but I wouldn't expect him to be 100% honest, and you have to decide once he wconfirms whether or not its now finished, if you can get over that and forgive it.
Tinky

#14 Post by Tinky »

I’d have my questions I want answered written down. So you keep referring to them, it’s easy to get derailed. My exH would be good at turning questions round and not giving a straight answer on anything. Arrange a neutral place or make sure the kids are gone elsewhere, it’s so hard living in limbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Tinky for the post:
tea
Nodrog

#15 Post by Nodrog »

How are you doing today OP?

Return to “Advice/Anon”