Scrape on car

This is a public forum allowing posting as a guest.
Me2me
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Scrape on car

#1 Post by Me2me »

I slightly scrapped someone car yesterday while parking. We exchanged details etc. Do I need to let my insurance company know ?
ali

Re: Scrape on car

#2 Post by ali »

If its only a small mark and purely cosmetic and no dent then wait and see what it costs to repair as if insurance involved your premium will increase and you will lose your no claims bonus.

All depends how fair the person is that owns the other car, hopefully not a chancer looking for a full car respray!!
Elsie

#3 Post by Elsie »

agree. not yet but i hope you also took photos of it. i did that before and then got stung for all the scrapes to be repaired as i didnt take pictures.... lesson learned.
DazedandConfused

#4 Post by DazedandConfused »

Elsie wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:26 pm agree. not yet but i hope you also took photos of it. i did that before and then got stung for all the scrapes to be repaired as i didnt take pictures.... lesson learned.
Happened to me. I did a tiny scratch on a well scratched 10 year old car, expected the woman to say don’t worry about it but she took the opportunity to get a bumper respray and I ended up using my insurance cause I couldn’t bear to hand get the money
These users thanked the author DazedandConfused for the post:
Elsie
Happymammy

#5 Post by Happymammy »

I think you may be required to let your insurance company know as soon as possible after incident happens. If you decide to pay for damage privately then your insurance premium/no claims bonus won't be affected but if the other party comes with a huge quote you can refer to insurance company, having already informed them at the time.
Superwhy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

#6 Post by Superwhy »

You absolutely should tell your insurance company. It’s a term of your policy. It won’t affect your NCB. Unless you make a claim.
ali

#7 Post by ali »

Once you tell your insurance company it will affect your next premium, I tipped off a car a few years ago, informed my insurance, no claim was ever made but following year my premium had hugely increased,rang them and they said it was due to the incident that was reported as even though no claim had been made it was now on my file and still seen as active, took a lot of back and forth to get the hold on my account removed.
mumtoa

#8 Post by mumtoa »

ali wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:33 pm Once you tell your insurance company it will affect your next premium, I tipped off a car a few years ago, informed my insurance, no claim was ever made but following year my premium had hugely increased,rang them and they said it was due to the incident that was reported as even though no claim had been made it was now on my file and still seen as active, took a lot of back and forth to get the hold on my account removed.
I had the same happen to me. Wouldn’t be in a rush to report it.
Sally

#9 Post by Sally »

I wouldn’t report yet.

I did this last year, scraped a guys bumper in a car park, so I left a note and explained i would pay when he called me.
Told him to get a quote and let me know.
He called me back and told me it was €500 ish, and could i send him the money direct.
I politely advised that if he gave me the garage details , I would call them and arrange payment directly.

Cue lots of ahs and ums, with him try8ng to convince me that it was easier if I just sent him the money, but i stayed firm.
Eventually he says “Well, let me call them again”… he called me back few days later to confirm that the garage had another think and it was now about €240
:rolleyes:

He was clearly trying to pull a fast one but I said nothing, just rang the garage (a reputable place) and paid in advance.

So, be careful, and make sure that you arrange a payment directly with the garage yourself, and get the invoice sent to you et so that you have confirmation that they are actually carrying out the work.

I left the insurance company out of it, as I knew I would pay multiples of the cost of repairs in increased premiums over the next few years.
salsa

#10 Post by salsa »

mumtoa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:48 pm
ali wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:33 pm Once you tell your insurance company it will affect your next premium, I tipped off a car a few years ago, informed my insurance, no claim was ever made but following year my premium had hugely increased,rang them and they said it was due to the incident that was reported as even though no claim had been made it was now on my file and still seen as active, took a lot of back and forth to get the hold on my account removed.
Same here.
StarryNight

#11 Post by StarryNight »

salsa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 pm
mumtoa wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:48 pm
Same here.
Same. I tipped off a woman last summer. We exchanged details and I never heard a thing from her. Nor did I report to the insurance company. Up to her to follow up with me or lodge a claim. As far as I know she never did.
Someone tipped off us a few years ago and handed us a few hundred in cash on the spot! I got the impression he didn't want anything going through official channels.....
These users thanked the author StarryNight for the post:
Elsie

Return to “Advice/Anon”